A qualified workforce is key to sustaining and growing your business in the Obion County region.
Right to Work State
A Right to Work State is generally defined as a state that does not require employees to join a Union as a condition of receiving or retaining a job.
Obion County Workforce Development Action Plan
The Obion County Joint Economic Development Council along with partners has developed an action plan to enhance Obion County’s competitive advantages for workforce and marketing of those advantages. We are all working diligently to create a good place to live and work. We are working hard to make Obion County a place abundant with opportunities where our youth can enjoy worthwhile and fulfilling careers.
Area Labor Study
The Pathfinders Group in Memphis, Tennessee, performed an evaluation of the labor quality and availability within the Northwest Tennessee/Southwest Kentucky area and analyzed the underemployed and potential re-entry workforce. The analysis spanned parts of six counties in Tennessee and three in Kentucky (i.e. Henry, Weakley, Gibson, Dyer, Obion, and Lake in Tennessee and Hickman, Fulton, and part of Graves County in Kentucky).
According to the study, Obion County offers the following workforce:
- Area population/labor force - The Northwest Tennessee/Southwest Kentucky area, referred to as the "labor shed", has a household population of approximately 259,300 and a civilian labor force of approximately 122,300.
- Unemployed - The labor shed has a pool of approximately 8,300 unemployed persons who are actively seeking work.
- Underemployed - A new employer will be able to attract employees from an additional pool of about 14,100 workers. These individuals are currently employed and have indicated an interest in changing jobs. These potentially available workers are referred to as "underemployed" because they appear to possess the skills, experience, and education to qualify them for the pay rates at which they would take a new job.
- Pay Rate - The desire pay rates of these underemployed workers are reasonable when compared to their existing pay rates. The median current pay rate of the underemployed workers is $13.15 per hour, and the median desired pay rate of the underemployed workers is $15.18 per hour. About 25% of the underemployed workers would take a new job for $10.48 per hour or less. At the upper end, the 25% most qualified and experienced will command more than $21.45 per hour.
- Re-entry Workers - Roughly 3,100 people, neither employed nor seeking work, might re-enter the workforce for the proper job.
- Total Available Workers - In total, the Northwest Tennessee/Southwest Kentucky area has 22,500 available workers for new or expanding businesses.
Regional Wage and Benefit Survey of Manufacturers in Northwest Tennessee and Southwest Kentucky (2019)
Obion County Manufacturing Workforce Data 2018
County Profile Tool
Use the map to select Obion County to view the full community profile.
Labor Force Estimates
Labor Force Estimates - United States & Tennessee - March 2020
Download PDF file
Training Resources and Initiatives
Obion County School System Academic Opportunities:
- AP Class, Dual Enrollment, Dual Credit Career Technical Education/Industry Certification
- Agriculture, Health Science, Family & Consumer Science, Business & Marketing, Advanced Manufacturing/Welding, Automotive Maintenance & Light Repair, Criminal Justice, Cosmetology, Culinary Arts, Education and Training, Mechatronics (Fall 2019), Residential & Commercial Construction, STEM, STEM Aviation Partnerships
- University of Tennessee at Martin, Bethel University, Dyersburg State Community College, Jackson State Community College, Middle Tennessee State University, TCAT (Tennessee College of Applied Technology)
Programs offered at the TCAT Union City Campus
Trainees learn the fundamentals of electricity and electronics which provide the foundation for advanced training in electric motor controls, automated machine control circuits, conveyors, pumps, pneumatic and hydraulic systems, test equipment, production equipment (electrical, electronic, and mechanical), programmable controllers, automation and robotics. In the last phase of the course, students combine all their newly acquired skills in overall systemic troubleshooting and interfacing systems. Hands-on training and safety is stressed throughout the course.
Our Welding Technology Program is designed to provide the student with an opportunity to acquire the technical knowledge and hands-on skills required for employment as a combination welder. We accomplish this task through classroom instruction and practical welding exercises carried out in an industrial shop setting. Welding Processes such as Flux Cored Arc, Gas Metal Arc, Gas Tungsten Arc and Shielded Metal Arc are covered in depth.
TCAT-Newbern offers three (3) Practical Nursing programs to better suit the needs of potential students.
- Union City Campus: 12 month daytime Practical Nursing program that begins in May every year.
- Newbern Main Campus: 12 month daytime Practical Nursing program that begins in September every year.
- Newbern Main Campus: 18 month evening & weekend Practical Nursing program tailored to working individuals. Class meets on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday evenings AND on Saturdays. Please call 731-627-2511 to see when the next evening/weekend program begins.
Tennessee Work Learn Earn
Tennessee Work Learn Earn (https://tn.worklearnearn.org/) was developed in partnership with the Council for Adult and Experiential Learning, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the Tennessee Higher Education Commission and the Tennessee Department of Economic & Community Development. The site offers tips and resources to help connect students and career-seekers with relevant education and job opportunities in our great state.
Find a job, post a résumé, setup a virtual recruiter, and get hired. Jobs4TN also allows employers to post jobs and view résumés of potential recruits with ease.
Tennessee Department of Labor and Workforce Development
Employers can find the following articles in this section: staffing, tax and insurance, and safety and regulations. Labor/Workforce Contacts.